Helen and her team prepare delicious fine food on the premises each day using only the best quality produce available. The choice ranges from tea, coffees & light refreshments to lunches and full meals, and we also hold regular Special Events.
Afternoon Tea is also now available (booking required)
In warmer weather we have an outdoor cafe terrace with views over the river Caldbeck and the village cricket pitch. During the winter months the restaurant is warm and inviting with a cosy log stove and candles on the tables.
Wi-Fi broadband internet is available throughout the café.
We also have an art exhibition area in the café where local artists can display their work.
Outside catering and evening parties can be catered for by arrangement. We can also supply suppers and picnics to visitors in the area. Please contact us for further information of this service.
Priests Mill is an old watermill built by a Rector of Caldbeck in 1702, in a secluded position on the riverbank just below St Kentigern's Church. John Peel, the famous local huntsman and the Beauty of Buttermere lie buried in the churchyard. From 1702 to 1933 it was used as a stone-grinding corn mill. After that it was mainly used as a sawmill and joiner's workshop until 1965 when floods caused the mill dam to be destroyed.
The award winning restoration of the old mill was completed in 1986. The only machinery left is the 14ft diameter waterwheel which has been restored to working order. The Watermill Cafe occupies most of the early 18th century stone building and overlooks the river.